Today's topic is music. I love Christmas music. We usually tune all our radios to WASH-FM the day after Thanksgiving. I've even been known to listen to the station online at work. So, I feel fully qualified to present my personal list of the the good, the bad, and the truly bizarre in the world of holiday music (in no particular order). I'm sure I've forgotten a ton, so feel free to add your own.
The Good. These are the songs I turn up.
1. "Sleigh Ride," The Ronettes. This song always makes me dance around like an idiot.
2. "Do They Know It's Christmas?," Band Aid. I am a child of the '80s after all.
3. "Snoopy's Christmas," The Royal Guardsmen. Snoopy and the Red Baron sharing a Christmas toast. What could be better?
4. "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings," Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan. Another toe tapper and Sarah McLachlan just has the most beautiful voice.
5. "Blue Christmas," Elvis Presley. I have such great memories singing this song in the car with my mom.
The Bad. These are the songs I turn off.
1. "Christmas Eve in Washington," Maura Sullivan. I'm not sure if those of you outside the DC Metro Area are subjected to this monstrosity. Even though it's idiotic, it will get stuck in your head for days.
2. "The Christmas Shoes," NewSong. Pure dreck. But I still cry like a baby every time I hear it.
3. "All I Want for Christmas Is You," Mariah Carey. Mariah Carey should not be equated with Christmas. Ever.
4. "All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth, " Spike Jones and the City Slickers. The whistling drives me nuts!
5. "Blue Christmas," Porky Pig. It seriously makes my ears bleed.
The Truly Bizarre. These are the songs that make me scratch my head.
1. "Peace on Earth/The Little Drummer Boy," Bing Crosby and David Bowie. No, the song isn't bad, but I just can't get over the bizarre pairing.
2. "Oh Come All Ye Faithful," Twisted Sister. Enough said.
3. "White Christmas," Billy Idol. I haven't heard this, but all I keep thinking is "It's a nice day for a White Christmas!"
4. "Marshmallow World," Regis Philbin. Oh, Reege...
5. A John Waters Christmas. Baltimore's finest and a few of his friends celebrate the holidays.
19 December 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh, that's a good one! Thanks Talley!
Great Post Laura!!!
Post a Comment